Since I was a little girl, I’ve heard about the dire importance of breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day with a self-explanatory name to match-break-fast, as in, break the fast of not eating all night! Skipping breakfast due to lack of time or recipes is never a good idea. Take it from me. If your stomach starts growling in that quiet meeting when your coffee seems lonely without pancakes slathered in syrup and if you fail to ‘rise and shine’ every morning, you might want to try my carefully selected delicious and healthy recipes. They will instil enough energy in you to last a day while ensuring your clothes fit you like a glove!
1. Low Carb Pancakes
Whoever said pancakes can’t be healthy? Try this scrumptious recipe to devour your favourite meal without worrying about fitting in your favourite skirt.
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
- coconut oil for frying
- Whisk together eggs, sea salt and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, coconut flour and baking soda.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk to this concoction, watching the consistency of the batter. It shouldn’t be too thick or runny.
- Lightly oil the skillet with coconut oil over medium heat.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter into the skillet, one at a time.
- When the batter it starts to bubble, flip the pancake.
- Take out when slightly golden brown.
- Lather the hot pancakes with agave syrup. Enjoy!
2. Green Tomatoes and Avocado on Toast with Feta Cheese and Cayenne Pepper on Top
Who’s up for trying this healthy blend of the best flavours? Avocado is not just healthy. It tastes great when paired with feta cheese. With this meal, you’ll have something to look forward to every morning!
- 2 medium slices of whole grain bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 green tomato
- 2 tbsp Feta cheese
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- Toast the slices to your liking in a toaster
- Meanwhile, crush one avocado and make a make a paste with salt, lemon juice and cayenne pepper
- Cut thin slices of the Green Tomato
- Spread out the toasted slabs and cover them with the thinly cut slices of green tomato
- Top with a generous spoonful of the avocado paste
- Sprinkle the feta cheese and cayenne pepper on top as per your preference
- Now take a crunchy bite and enjoy!
3. Gluten-free Almond Porridge with Seeds and Berries
A fruitful combination of health and taste, it will brighten your mornings without having to stress about your weight.
- 2 cups of pure rolled oats, gluten-free
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- Assemble all the ingredients together
- Put them in a pot placed on medium flame
- Bring the ingredients to a boil
- Reduce heat and let the batter simmer for about 10 more minutes
- Keep stirring until the oatmeal reaches a thick consistency, and most of the liquid has been absorbed
- Remove from heat
- Top with fresh blueberries and enjoy while hot!
4. Coconut Porridge with Almond Butter, Walnuts and Red Berries compote
This recipe, packed with flavour, will give you that much-needed boost of energy every morning!
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1-pint red berries
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp crushed walnuts
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Almond milk
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup coconut milk, quinoa, water, 1/2 tsp vanilla powder and ground cinnamon.
- Place it over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan
- Let it simmer till the quinoa is tender and most of the water is absorbed (10-12 min)
- Remove it from heat
- Add 2 tsp of honey and remaining coconut milk to this mixture.
- Meanwhile, take another saucepan and combine red berries, some water, remaining vanilla powder and the rained honey over low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- In another bowl, mix coconut flakes, walnuts, seeds and coconut sugar.
- Now spoon the porridge into bowls and spread the warm mixture of red berries. Top with the coconut flake mixture and delve into this perfect combo with a glass of almond milk!
5. Acai Bowl
Once you try this heavenly and super easy recipe, you’ll never dream of missing breakfast again!
- 4 tbsp acai powder
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 slices of frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Coconut Flakes (optional)
- Blend the frozen strawberries and bananas, almond milk, almond butter and honey until smooth
- Aim for a consistency thicker than a smoothie
- Take it out in a bowl and top with your choice of fruits and coconut and savour the refreshing bites!
For all the weight watchers like me, why must you skip out on delicious meals every morning? Flavourful yet healthy, these five breakfast choices come from the diary of a foodie who loves to wear fabulous clothes!
Now you can indulge in your choice of the favourite breakfast and kick start your day with a daily dose of energy!